A company’s or an organization’s logo is the first and most important graphic or mark used to differentiate it from other businesses. It is used as a symbol or icon of public recognition. For example, IBM, Microsoft, General Motors, Google, McDonalds and other renowned global brands have become synonymous with their logos.
When starting a small business, there is no doubt you will need a logo. You do not just need a logo, but one that captures your vision for the business. For many small businesses, cost is important in making a decision. So questions such us “how much a logo costs” or “can’t I just put something together myself” always come up.
Just to give an idea of how much importance some businesses place on the design of their logos: in the United States, some companies pay big agencies between $25,000.00 (R286,983.75) to $50,000.00 (R569,252.00) for logo design. Did I hear you drop the coffee cup? Yay right… Exactly my reaction the first time I read this in an article published on Inc. magazine a couple of years ago.
Do you believe if these companies could put together the logo themselves, they wouldn’t do it to save $25,000.00 (R286,983.75) or $50,000.00 (R569,252.00)? This is because creating a logo for a business is not as simple as it sounds. It must capture the unique vision of the business, differentiate the brand from its competitors and must be easily recognizable. The creative process involved in achieving these fundamental objectives of logo design will not be the results of a few minutes work. It can take hours, days or even weeks of market research, brainstorming, sketching, prototyping etc. in getting the right balance of all the above.
Having said that, for most businesses such an amount is still very much beyond their reach. There is no doubt in my mind that you can get a professionally designed logo that meets your objectives without having to pay a fortune for it.
Binary Means provides a process that is patient in ensuring client’s utmost satisfaction at affordable prices. We do logo design through a 6-step process. In following this process, we work closely with the client.
1. Meeting: We meet with client to get a general understanding of their requirements and expectations. They fill in a questionnaire for clarification;
2. Market Research: We scrutinize competitors’ logos, your target market and general logo research;
3. Brainstorming: Conceptualizing, sketching and prototyping;
4. Presentation: Present 5 options to client in PDF format, client selects and gives feedback;
5. Modifications: Make requested changes to selected option. Note: The client can request changes of up to 5 times before the submission stage;
6. Submission: Submit final work to client in various file formats as requested by client.